Sunday, January 15, 2012

Boring Me to Death


I just finished reading the book Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman and I was extremely disappointed. I had read a small section of the book in a previous class and I became interested in reading the rest of it. Technology, being such a big part of today's society, could have been a very interesting topic and Neil attempted to argue that Americas reliance on technology was bringing us into an age of mind numbing amusement with little or no deep thought. While I do not agree with Postman's argument I was still interested in seeing the other side of the story. However, Postman's argument was dull and repetitive and overall a bad read. I had tons of trouble finishing the book and the only reason I did finish is was because I had to read it for class. I fell asleep multiple times while reading it due to the boredom it caused. It seemed to me and my group that Postman had written a chapter of the book that presented a clear amusing argument, but when working to get the book published, had to write a couple more chapters to make it long enough that consisted of repeating the same arguments and examples as before in reworded syntax. 

A book like this would be very valuable in today's society given the amount of and the extent we use technology. A book on this subject has tons of potential to teach Americans of the harm of technology on our society. However, due to the boring, repetitive examples, the value of this book is greatly diminished in today's society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment