Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Process analysis for the video


Process Analysis
            The argument I was trying to make in my video is that SOPA is against the fundamental values of America. The broad argument I chose was censorship and soon after I decided on this topic I learned of SOPA and all of the bad publicity it has received because of its potential of leading to a censored internet in America. Some of the warrants I am basing my claim off of is that passing SOPA will lead to a censored internet because, on paper, SOPA is a bill that would just give big producers the power to ask the government to block both foreign and local sites that share copyright content. However, many people are scared that if SOPA passes, music and movie producing companies would overextend their power and try to block and site that may help people illegally download content from the internet. This could include Facebook, YouTube, and could block outcomes Google gives for certain searches.
            My main audience for this video are teenagers and young adults who would be most affected by SOPA being passed. However, I also had in mind that I would be showing the video to a roomful of high school students so I had to decide against including some more specific and sensitive material. The main purpose of this video is to encourage the audience to speak up against SOPA and demand the bill be killed.
            I chose the pictures I did, and the order I put them in, to specifically tell a story. I open up the argument with the word “censorship” and a picture of Nazi book burning to create a negative picture in the mind of the audience when they think of censorship. I then slide through the flags and maps of countries where censorship and censorship of the internet is famous like China, communist Russia, Egypt, and others. After this I say while censorship is famous here, it can’t possibly happen in America can it? After an image of the US flag I have a picture of flags with America’s in the center titled “The Coalition for Internet Censorship”. This is to put emphasis on the fact that passing SOPA would compare America to countries like Egypt and communist Russia. Immediately following this picture I have a slide with “SOPA”, and its meaning, “Stop Online Piracy Act”, written largely. I do this to make sure the audience realizes that SOPA is a violation of what America stands for and would put us in a league with the countries listed before. Then I ask the audience what would happen if it passes. This gives the audience a second to think before I go into some potential consequences of passing this bill. I know these examples may be extreme and an over-exaggeration, but I purposely kept these up because they would have the biggest impact on my intended audience. I finish the video with a couple of pictures that do not directly contribute to the argument I am trying to make but have to do with censorship in America and will leave a strong impression on the audience.
            The music I chose was a mash up I found on The Kollection called Imagine One Day. It is a mixture of John Lennon’s Imagine, Matsiyahu’s One Day, Blink 182’s All the Small Things, and two other artists whose music does not appear until after my movie ends. I chose it because the theme of the song is peace and love, and while it does not have a direct relevance to my argument against censorship, it matches the, perhaps over-exaggerated photos of Nazi Germany and Communist Russia, where strong feelings still linger in American society. The music is not only a mash up of some of my favorite songs, but also matches the intensity, and longing for peace my argument also calls for. The music is very smooth and unexpected at the same time. The first song that plays is One Day which is not as popular and unknown compared to other songs in the mix. I also think that when the music changes from One Day to the much more popular, Imagine, it will leave the audience a little shocked, but this will quickly be overcome with a larger sense of understanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment